Wednesday, November 17, 2010

in true caveman form

my feet look worse than Fred Flintstones. *if you don't enjoy looking at some pretty rough feet complete with blisters, this post probably isn't for you. i did a CrossFit Endurance interval workout in my FiveFingers. my mother and i decided to do it indoors on a treadmill instead of outside. i won't make that mistake again.


the wod was as follows:

run 90 seconds, rest 90 seconds
run 3 minutes, rest 3 minutes
run 6 minutes, rest 6 minutes
run 3 minutes, rest 3 minutes
run 90 seconds, rest 90 seconds
run 1 minute, rest 1 minute
run 1 minute, rest 1 minute
run 1 minute, rest 1 minute
run 1 minute, rest 1 minute

now my right foot felt a little uncomfortable about halfway through the wod, but i just kept running. the pain wasn't bad enough to stop, plus i'm not really one to give up after making it halfway through something, ESPECIALLY a workout.

when we got to the 1 minute intervals, the "uncomfortableness" turned into what could be described as "pain". from what i remember, on a scale of 1-10, the pain was around a 5.

i drove home, gingerly using the pedals and took my shoes off as soon as i walked in the door to find this little gem:























i took a hot shower and got no relief. my feet were very sore for a couple days. i didn't really know how to treat it or what to do next. i did a little research and found people that were adamant that you don't pop it and others that suggested you do. i'm guessing that none of the suggestions were based on a blood blister that was as big as mine, so i just left it alone.


day 2
 
day 3 (it didn't really change much from day 3-7)

day 7

my mother suggested i soak my feet in Epsom salt, so i did. it softened everything up pretty nicely, but my feet still look pretty dodgy. if you notice, i dont have just one blister. i have some older calluses that have come off and a few other "fresh" blisters. overall GOOD TIMES. ugh.

so here i am, 7 days later, with this horrendous looking blood blister still on my foot. at what point will i know it's healed underneath? is it still unsafe to pop and drain the blood out of it? when can i wear my VFF's again?

why didn't this happen before when i've worn my VVF's? well first off, i haven't run on a treadmill with them and secondly, i hadn't run that long in them before. i have hiked in them, which is a totally different story because your feet aren't doing the same thing over and over again. I've also sprinted in them, but nothing over a mile. i'm hoping this is just my feet toughening up and that i'll have no problems with longer runs in the future. i'm also hoping this isn't a fault in my POSE form... it felt pretty good, but the fact i only got it on my right foot tells me something is off.

any advice is graciously accepted.

No comments: